Laptop Under Budget is supported by its readers. When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Learn more

Top 10 Best Laptops For Programming – A One Stop Shop Guide

61 thoughts on “Top 10 Best Laptops For Programming – A One Stop Shop Guide”

1. Trupti says:

Hello Mike,
    I am a Developer and am planning to get a new laptop. I plan for 12 -16GB RAM, 256-1TB SSD . Which model should I opt for and where will it be a good deal available ?
    Thank You.

1. Mike Johnson says:

Hi,

I would recommend you to look at Dell’s XPS series of laptops and also check out Lenovo ThinkPad T480. Both of these machines will be good fit for your requirements. You can find them both at their official web stores.

2. A. Green says:

I have a HP laptop with Intel Core i7-7500U, 8GB RAM and 1TB HDD. For some reason it is slow. Is this good for programming or do I need to get a new one?

1. Mike Johnson says:

Specs are pretty good for programming. I would recommend you to clean install Windows on it and still if you find it slow then go to HP service and tell them to replace the HDD with an SSD. That small upgrade will make it significantly faster.

3. Santiago says:

Hi, How are you?

What do you think about ThinkPad T480? The specs are Intel Core i5-8250U, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, Nvidia GeForce MX150 2GB .

The best regards.

1. Mike Johnson says:

Yes, the ThinkPad T480 with this good configuration will be great choice for programming.

4. Soufiane says:

Hi Mike,
    I would like to have a laptop for programming android development (Android Studio-Photoshop). I have a $700 budget. What a laptop do you recommend ? I have been looing at ASUS VivoBook S510UA-DS51 i5-8250U processor 8GB DDR4 256SSD.

1. Mike Johnson says:

Hi,

I would recommend you to buy the Acer Aspire E 15 laptop. The ASUS VivoBook S510UA is also good choice but it misses out on dedicated GPU. While your programming needs might not require the GPU power but having an entry level one from Nvidia or AMD is always good.

5. Devaney says:

Hi Mike!
    I read the article and it’s very informational! I’m looking for a laptop for my son who is 8 years old. He just joined a workshop to learn how to make a video game and he has a HP stream 4gb laptop right now but I think he needs at least 8. I’m totally not tech savvy but I think he needs more GB. What do you recommend for an 8 year old for just starting out coding? Or can he use the 4g laptop he has now to code? Thanks!

1. Mike Johnson says:

Hi Devaney,
      The computer used for game development has to do a lot of heavy lifting. So, it needs to be powerful enough to handle rigorous game development softwares. But, I don’t think that your son needs a high-end computer right now. Game development workshop for an 8 years old shouldn’t require more powerful laptop than HP Stream according to me. But, still you can ask your son if that computer freezes or slows down while he is working at workshop.